The village of Lipovu is situated in southern Romania, about 40 kilometres from the town of Craiova, one of the oldest cities in the county of Dolj.
Attested in 1569, Lipovu has several settlements: Lipovu Romani, Lipovu Romans, Tuturoaie and Lipovu de Sus. Currently Lipovu’s common administration has two villages: Upper Lipovu residence and Lipovu.
The main tourist areas are the monastery ruins at Lipovu de Sus and Lipovu Museum.
Here as in most localities in Dolj, the main activities performed by locals are in areas such as agriculture and animal husbandry.